- Contra Bassoon (Fox 900)
- Bassoon (Fox 220 Renard)
- Saxophone (Yamaha YTS-64 Tenor, Selmer SA-80 II Alto)
My pride and joy: Fox Model 900 Contrabassoon. Saved up for 15 years to afford it - second most expensive item I own! Now I play it as often as possible. Sadly, not enough orchestral music makes use of it. :( So when not needed, I play the normal (tenor) bassoon.
Over the years I have been involved in many community orchestras and bands. Here's a list of those that I can remember:
- Sydney Youth Orchestra
- SBS TV Youth Orchestra
- Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra (Perth)
- South Pacific Concert Band
- Eastside Symphony (Seattle)
- Northwest Symphony (Seattle)
- Rain City Orchestra (Seattle)
- Seattle Festival Orchestra (nee Musicians Emeritus Symphony Orchestra - MESO)
- Penrith Symphony Orchestra
In addition to these main groups where I have at least been a regular player, I've done call work with most orchestras within the Seattle and Sydney area over the years.
As a bassoonist, there is a large call for your skills. There are not many players around, which means when needing an orchestra for a musical, a phone call is not far away. I've played with all the local musical/light opera companies in the Sydney area. The following is a selection of musicals that I've played. There's probably many more that I have forgotten.
- Pirates of Penzance
- Into the Woods
- The Sound of Music
- The Gondoliers
- H.M.S Pinafore